National Ocean Service
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
U.S. Department of Commerce
Search National Ocean Service
Explore All Topics
• What are coquina and tabby?
• What is a tide pool?
• What is an archipelago?
• What is a lagoon?
• What is a ghost forest?
• Where is Earth’s Largest Waterfall?
• What are the Totten Beacons?
• How does sea ice affect global climate?
• What are beach advisories and beach closures?
• What is the highest point on Earth as measured from Earth's center?
• What is a living shoreline?
• What is a pocosin?
• What is the Great Loop?
• What is a wetland?
• What is an anchialine pool?
• Where is Point Nemo?
• How big is the Atlantic Ocean?
• What is the Sargasso Sea?
• How did the Pacific Ocean get its name?
• Do the Great Lakes have tides?
• What is a marine national monument?
• What threats do seabirds face?
• What is NERRS?
• What ocean basin has the most corals?
• Where is the largest estuary in the United States?
• How do sanctuaries protect marine life?
• What is the Bermuda Triangle?
• What is the smallest ocean?
• Where is the largest protected area in the National Marine Sanctuary system?
• What is maritime heritage?
• What was the first national marine sanctuary to be designated?
• What is a national marine sanctuary?
• What is the largest ocean basin on Earth?
• Where are marine protected areas located?
• What is a mangrove forest?
• Is change important to estuaries?
• What percentage of marine areas are protected?
• What is coastal zone management?
• Do volcanoes occur in the ocean?
• Where is the highest tide?
• What is a marine protected area?
• What percentage of the American population lives near the coast?
• What is the longest mountain range on earth?