National Ocean Service
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
U.S. Department of Commerce
What We Do
• What is a current survey?
• Where is Earth’s Largest Waterfall?
• What is a Rossby wave?
• What is a tide gauge?
• What is a catcher beach?
• What is a King Tide?
• Where do I get real-time and forecast coastal conditions?
• How does sea ice affect global climate?
• What is the Pineapple Express?
• How are satellites used to observe the ocean?
• What is an oil seep?
• Why do scientists measure sea surface temperature?
• What is the difference between local sea level and global sea level?
• What is an oil spill trajectory?
• What is marine biogeography?
• What is the Forchhammer's Principle?
• What is a NOAA tide table?
• How does NOAA help clean up oil and chemical spills?
• What is a maritime forest?
• What is a High Seas Forecast?
• What is a bight?
• What is a thermocline?
• What is HAZMAT?
• What is an ocean glider?
• How does NOAA monitor water levels around the nation?
• What is a marsh organ?
• What is a turbidity current?
• Why does the ocean have waves?
• What is an Operational Forecast System?
• What is blue carbon?
• What is PORTS®?
• What is nuisance flooding?
• What are the horse latitudes?
• What is bombogenesis?
• What is the International Date Line?
• What is an anchialine pool?
• What is a hurricane?
• Why do we name tropical storms?
• What is a seiche?
• What is ocean acidification?
• What is LIDAR?
• What is the difference between storm surge and storm tide?
• What is the difference between a hurricane watch and a warning?
• What is the difference between an AUV and a ROV?
• What is the difference between a nautical mile and a knot?
• What is 'Old Sow'?
• What is sea foam?
• How big is the Atlantic Ocean?
• What is the cryosphere?
• What is the geoid?
• What is Digital Coast?
• What is the Storm QuickLook?
• What is the difference between weather and climate?
• Could a hurricane make a large oil spill worse?
• Is there gold in the ocean?
• How can you tell the difference between an oil slick and an algal bloom?
• How did the Hawaiian Islands form?
• How much of the ocean have we explored?
• How does pressure change with ocean depth?
• What is the EEZ?
• What is a navigation response team?
• Why is the ocean salty, but rivers flowing into it are not?
• Why does the ocean get colder at depth?
• What is an eddy?
• What is the difference between a hurricane, a cyclone, and a typhoon?
• What is a waterspout?
• What is a tidal wave?
• Is sea level the same all across the ocean?
• How is ocean observing data used?
• Where is all of the Earth's water?
• Did I find a lost underwater civilization?
• What is remote sensing?
• What is IOOS?
• What are El Nino and La Nina?
• How is sea level rise related to climate change?
• What does an oceanographer do?
• How fast is the Gulf Stream?
• What is a rogue wave?
• Where is the highest tide?
• How far does light travel in the ocean?
• What is a sonar?
• What role does the ocean play in the weather?
• Is sea level rising?
• What is the longest mountain range on earth?
• What is a benthic habitat map?
• How deep is the ocean?
What We Do
Every Kid in a Park
Take Our Survey
Report an Error
For NOS Employees
NOS Program Offices
Freedom of Information Act
National Ocean Service
Department of Commerce
You are here: