National Ocean Service
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
U.S. Department of Commerce
Search National Ocean Service
Explore All Topics
• What are plankton?
• What is a sponge?
• What is the intertidal zone?
• How do hurricanes affect sea life?
• What is a glass sponge?
• How Many Species Live in the Ocean?
• How does sand form?
• What does the ocean have to do with human health?
• What are brain corals?
• What is the fastest fish in the ocean?
• What causes a sea turtle to be born male or female?
• What are the oldest living animals in the world?
• Are all fish cold-blooded?
• Where do fish go when it freezes outside?
• What is ocean noise?
• What is a sea lamprey?
• What is coral spawning?
• What is marine telemetry?
• What are microplastics?
• How does land-based pollution threaten coral reefs?
• Can a coral reef recover from bleaching and other stressful events?
• How does overfishing affect coral reefs?
• How does climate change affect coral reefs?
• How do sea turtles hatch?
• What is ocean etiquette?
• What are barnacles?
• What are the vampire squid and the vampire fish?
• What is a Portuguese Man o’ War?
• What is a nautilus?
• What is a platypus?
• What is spat?
• What is the Census of Marine Life?
• What is aquaculture?
• What are Mesophotic Coral Ecosystems?
• Do fish sleep?
• What is a whale fall?
• Are horseshoe crabs really crabs?
• What is a pelagic fish?
• What is the longest-lived marine mammal?
• What is an artificial reef?
• Are there oceans on other planets?
• What is a slough?
• Was Moby Dick a real whale?
• What is a bivalve mollusk?
• What is ocean acidification?
• What is the most venomous marine animal?
• Are mermaids real?
• What's the difference between a threatened and endangered species?
• Why are scientists concerned about Asian tiger shrimp?
• What is sea foam?
• What are Christmas tree worms?
• Does coral jewelry make a good gift?
• What is a turkeyfish?
• What makes the green turtle...green?
• Are sea cucumbers vegetables?
• Are starfish really fish?
• Why are aquatic plants so important?
• What are jellyfish made of?
• What is seaweed?
• What is a salt marsh?
• What threats do seabirds face?
• What's the difference between a seal and a sea lion?
• Are coral animals or plants?
• What is the difference between a dolphin and a porpoise?
• What is an invasive species?
• What makes the right whale "right"?
• What is the largest sea turtle?
• What is a seamount?
• Can penguins fly?
• How does oil impact marine life?
• What are brain corals?
• Are dolphins fish?
• What is bioluminescence?
• Do alligators live in the ocean?
• Do whales make noise?
• What are the three main types of coral reefs?
• Where is the largest protected area in the National Marine Sanctuary system?
• What lives in a kelp forest?
• Are all algal blooms harmful?
• What is nutrient pollution?
• What is a dead zone?
• What can I do to protect coral reefs?
• What are phytoplankton?
• How do people use kelp?
• What is the biggest fish in the ocean?
• Do sharks eat people?
• Where are marine protected areas located?
• What is a kelp forest?
• What is a coral reef made of?
• What is a mangrove forest?
• Is change important to estuaries?
• What types of plants and animals live in an estuary?
• Are lionfish a threat to Atlantic Ocean fish?
• What is marine snow?
• What is marine debris?
• Can marine debris degrade on its own in the environment?
• What does peanut butter have to do with the ocean?
• In what types of water do corals live?
• What is the largest living structure on Earth?
• What percentage of marine areas are protected?
• What is an extremophile?
• What can the ocean teach us about life on other planets?
• What do coral reefs have to do with medicine?
• What is a marine protected area?
• Why do Harmful Algal Blooms occur?
• What is a red tide?
• What species live in and around coral reefs?
• How do coral reefs protect life and property?
• What is an estuary?
• How do coral reefs benefit the economy?