National Ocean Service
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
U.S. Department of Commerce
Search National Ocean Service
Explore All Topics
Just for Kids
Sea Floor Mapping
Prince William's Oily Mess
The Lionfish Invasion
Planet Stewards Program
Sea Level Rise
The Earth Scientist
Oysters In the Chesapeake Bay
Living in Weather
Ocean & Climate
Tides & Currents
Discover Your World
Discover Your Changing World
• What are plankton?
• What is a sponge?
• What is the intertidal zone?
• How do hurricanes affect sea life?
• What is a glass sponge?
• How Many Species Live in the Ocean?
• How does sand form?
• What does the ocean have to do with human health?
• What are brain corals?
• What is the fastest fish in the ocean?
• What causes a sea turtle to be born male or female?
• What are the oldest living animals in the world?
• Are all fish cold-blooded?
• Where do fish go when it freezes outside?
• What is ocean noise?
• What is a sea lamprey?
• What is coral spawning?
• What is marine telemetry?
• What are microplastics?
• How does land-based pollution threaten coral reefs?
• Can a coral reef recover from bleaching and other stressful events?
• How does overfishing affect coral reefs?
• How does climate change affect coral reefs?
• How do sea turtles hatch?
• What is ocean etiquette?
• What are barnacles?
• What are the vampire squid and the vampire fish?
• What is a Portuguese Man o’ War?
• What is a nautilus?
• What is a platypus?
• What is spat?
• What is the Census of Marine Life?
• What is aquaculture?
• What are Mesophotic Coral Ecosystems?
• Do fish sleep?
• What is a whale fall?
• Are horseshoe crabs really crabs?
• What is a pelagic fish?
• What is the longest-lived marine mammal?
• What is an artificial reef?
• Are there oceans on other planets?
• What is a slough?
• Was Moby Dick a real whale?
• What is a bivalve mollusk?
• What is ocean acidification?
• What is the most venomous marine animal?
• Are mermaids real?
• What's the difference between a threatened and endangered species?
• Why are scientists concerned about Asian tiger shrimp?
• What is sea foam?
• What are Christmas tree worms?
• Does coral jewelry make a good gift?
• What is a turkeyfish?
• What makes the green turtle...green?
• Are sea cucumbers vegetables?
• Are starfish really fish?
• What are jellyfish made of?
• Why are aquatic plants so important?
• What is seaweed?
• What is a salt marsh?
• What threats do seabirds face?
• What's the difference between a seal and a sea lion?
• Are coral animals or plants?
• What is the difference between a dolphin and a porpoise?
• What is an invasive species?
• What makes the right whale "right"?
• What is the largest sea turtle?
• What is a seamount?
• Can penguins fly?
• How does oil impact marine life?
• What are brain corals?
• Are dolphins fish?
• What is bioluminescence?
• Do alligators live in the ocean?
• Do whales make noise?
• What are the three main types of coral reefs?
• Where is the largest protected area in the National Marine Sanctuary system?
• What lives in a kelp forest?
• Are all algal blooms harmful?
• What is nutrient pollution?
• What is a dead zone?
• What can I do to protect coral reefs?
• What are phytoplankton?
• How do people use kelp?
• What is the biggest fish in the ocean?
• Do sharks eat people?
• Where are marine protected areas located?
• What is a kelp forest?
• What is a coral reef made of?
• What is a mangrove forest?
• Is change important to estuaries?
• What types of plants and animals live in an estuary?
• Are lionfish a threat to Atlantic Ocean fish?
• What is marine snow?
• What is marine debris?
• Can marine debris degrade on its own in the environment?
• What does peanut butter have to do with the ocean?
• In what types of water do corals live?
• What is the largest living structure on Earth?
• What percentage of marine areas are protected?
• What is an extremophile?
• What can the ocean teach us about life on other planets?
• What do coral reefs have to do with medicine?
• What is a marine protected area?
• Why do Harmful Algal Blooms occur?
• What is a red tide?
• What species live in and around coral reefs?
• How do coral reefs protect life and property?
• What is an estuary?
• How do coral reefs benefit the economy?