National Ocean Service
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
U.S. Department of Commerce
Explore All Topics
Just for Kids
Sea Floor Mapping
Prince William's Oily Mess
The Lionfish Invasion
Planet Stewards Program
Sea Level Rise
The Earth Scientist
Oysters In the Chesapeake Bay
Living in Weather
Ocean & Climate
Tides & Currents
Discover Your World
Discover Your Changing World
• What is the carbon cycle?
• What is a sponge?
• What is a tide pool?
• What is the most common form of ocean litter?
• What is the intertidal zone?
• What is a lagoon?
• How do hurricanes affect sea life?
• What is a glass sponge?
• What is a watershed?
• What is a backscatter?
• What is a ghost forest?
• What is eutrophication?
• How does sand form?
• What does the ocean have to do with human health?
• What are brain corals?
• What is a catcher beach?
• What causes a sea turtle to be born male or female?
• What are the oldest living animals in the world?
• Are all fish cold-blooded?
• Where do fish go when it freezes outside?
• What is ocean noise?
• How are satellites used to observe the ocean?
• What is a sea lamprey?
• What is an oil seep?
• What is coral spawning?
• What is marine telemetry?
• What are beach advisories and beach closures?
• What are microplastics?
• How does land-based pollution threaten coral reefs?
• Can a coral reef recover from bleaching and other stressful events?
• How does overfishing affect coral reefs?
• How does climate change affect coral reefs?
• What is a living shoreline?
• What is an oil spill trajectory?
• What is a pocosin?
• What are barnacles?
• What color is an iceberg?
• What are the vampire squid and the vampire fish?
• How does NOAA help clean up oil and chemical spills?
• What is a maritime forest?
• What is a Portuguese Man o’ War?
• What is a wetland?
• What is HAZMAT?
• How do natural disasters contribute to marine debris?
• What is a marsh organ?
• What is spat?
• What are Mesophotic Coral Ecosystems?
• What is blue carbon?
• What is a whale fall?
• What are PBDEs?
• What is an anchialine pool?
• What is an artificial reef?
• What is a slough?
• What is a fish ladder?
• What is shoreline armoring?
• What's the difference between a threatened and endangered species?
• Why are scientists concerned about Asian tiger shrimp?
• What is the Sargasso Sea?
• Does coral jewelry make a good gift?
• What is a turkeyfish?
• What is ghostfishing?
• Are sea cucumbers vegetables?
• Why are aquatic plants so important?
• What is seaweed?
• How did the Hawaiian Islands form?
• Do the Great Lakes have tides?
• What is a marine national monument?
• What is a salt marsh?
• What threats do seabirds face?
• What is NERRS?
• What ocean basin has the most corals?
• Are coral animals or plants?
• Where is the largest estuary in the United States?
• What is a seamount?
• How does oil impact marine life?
• How do sanctuaries protect marine life?
• What are brain corals?
• What are the three main types of coral reefs?
• What lives in a kelp forest?
• What threats do coastal communities face?
• What is the difference between land cover and land use?
• What is nutrient pollution?
• What is resilience?
• What is an environmental sensitivity index map?
• What is a national marine sanctuary?
• What can I do to protect coral reefs?
• What is ecosystem science?
• What is a hydrothermal vent?
• What is coastal zone management?
• How do coral reefs protect life and property?
• How do coral reefs benefit the economy?