National Ocean Service
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
U.S. Department of Commerce
Search National Ocean Service
Explore All Topics
• What are plankton?
• Can we clean up, stop, or end harmful algal blooms?
• What are coquina and tabby?
• What is the carbon cycle?
• What is a sponge?
• What is a tide pool?
• What is the most common form of ocean litter?
• What is the intertidal zone?
• What is a lagoon?
• How do hurricanes affect sea life?
• What is a glass sponge?
• What is a watershed?
• What is a backscatter?
• What is a ghost forest?
• What is eutrophication?
• How does sand form?
• What does the ocean have to do with human health?
• What are brain corals?
• What is a catcher beach?
• What causes a sea turtle to be born male or female?
• What are the oldest living animals in the world?
• Are all fish cold-blooded?
• Where do fish go when it freezes outside?
• What is ocean noise?
• How are satellites used to observe the ocean?
• What is a sea lamprey?
• What is an oil seep?
• What is coral spawning?
• What is marine telemetry?
• What are beach advisories and beach closures?
• What are microplastics?
• How does land-based pollution threaten coral reefs?
• Can a coral reef recover from bleaching and other stressful events?
• How does overfishing affect coral reefs?
• How does climate change affect coral reefs?
• What is a living shoreline?
• What is an oil spill trajectory?
• What is a pocosin?
• What are barnacles?
• What color is an iceberg?
• What are the vampire squid and the vampire fish?
• How does NOAA help clean up oil and chemical spills?
• What is a maritime forest?
• What is a Portuguese Man o’ War?
• What is a wetland?
• What is HAZMAT?
• How do natural disasters contribute to marine debris?
• What is a marsh organ?
• What is spat?
• What are Mesophotic Coral Ecosystems?
• What is blue carbon?
• What is a whale fall?
• What are PBDEs?
• What is an anchialine pool?
• What is an artificial reef?
• What is a slough?
• What is a fish ladder?
• What is shoreline armoring?
• What's the difference between a threatened and endangered species?
• Why are scientists concerned about Asian tiger shrimp?
• What is the Sargasso Sea?
• Does coral jewelry make a good gift?
• What is a turkeyfish?
• What is ghostfishing?
• Are sea cucumbers vegetables?
• Why are aquatic plants so important?
• What is seaweed?
• How did the Hawaiian Islands form?
• Do the Great Lakes have tides?
• What is a marine national monument?
• What is a salt marsh?
• What threats do seabirds face?
• What is NERRS?
• What ocean basin has the most corals?
• Are coral animals or plants?
• Where is the largest estuary in the United States?
• What is a seamount?
• How does oil impact marine life?
• How do sanctuaries protect marine life?
• What are brain corals?
• What are the three main types of coral reefs?
• What lives in a kelp forest?
• What threats do coastal communities face?
• What is the difference between land cover and land use?
• What is nutrient pollution?
• What is resilience?
• What is an environmental sensitivity index map?
• What is a national marine sanctuary?
• What can I do to protect coral reefs?
• What is ecosystem science?
• What is a hydrothermal vent?
• What is coastal zone management?
• How do coral reefs protect life and property?
• How do coral reefs benefit the economy?