National Ocean Service
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
U.S. Department of Commerce
Search National Ocean Service
Explore All Topics
• Do we still need lighthouses?
• What is a canal?
• What is high tide flooding?
• What are the trade winds?
• How are satellites used to observe the ocean?
• Why do scientists measure sea surface temperature?
• What are beach advisories and beach closures?
• What is an oil spill trajectory?
• What is GPS?
• What is the Great Loop?
• How does NOAA help clean up oil and chemical spills?
• What is HAZMAT?
• How do natural disasters contribute to marine debris?
• What is aquaculture?
• What is nuisance flooding?
• When Was the First Earth Day?
• What is dredging?
• What is shoreline armoring?
• How do we forecast harmful algal blooms?
• Does coral jewelry make a good gift?
• What is the law of the sea?
• What is ghostfishing?
• What is air gap?
• What is the EEZ?
• Where is the largest estuary in the United States?
• What is the significance of the NOAA logo?
• How do sanctuaries protect marine life?
• What is federal consistency?
• What is maritime heritage?
• What was the first national marine sanctuary to be designated?
• What threats do coastal communities face?
• What is resilience?
• What is an environmental sensitivity index map?
• What is a dead zone?
• What is a national marine sanctuary?
• What is "smart growth"?
• What is coastal zone management?
• Why do Harmful Algal Blooms occur?
• What is the biggest source of ocean pollution?
• What percentage of the American population lives near the coast?
• How important is the ocean to our economy?
• What role does the ocean play in the weather?
• How do coral reefs protect life and property?
• How do coral reefs benefit the economy?