National Ocean Service
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
U.S. Department of Commerce
Explore All Topics
Just for Kids
Sea Floor Mapping
Prince William's Oily Mess
The Lionfish Invasion
Planet Stewards Program
Sea Level Rise
The Earth Scientist
Oysters In the Chesapeake Bay
Living in Weather
Ocean & Climate
Tides & Currents
Discover Your World
Discover Your Changing World
• What is the carbon cycle?
• What is a sponge?
• What is a tide pool?
• What is the most common form of ocean litter?
• What is the intertidal zone?
• What causes seasickness?
• Do we still need lighthouses?
• What is a canal?
• What do windward and leeward mean?
• How many high tides are there per day?
• What is a lagoon?
• How do hurricanes affect sea life?
• What is a glass sponge?
• How do hurricanes form?
• What is ecoforecasting?
• What is a gyre?
• How Many Species Live in the Ocean?
• What is a watershed?
• What is eutrophication?
• What is high tide flooding?
• How does sand form?
• What does the ocean have to do with human health?
• What is a Rossby wave?
• Why should we care about the ocean?
• What is a tide gauge?
• What is a King Tide?
• What are the oldest living animals in the world?
• What are the Roaring Forties?
• Are all fish cold-blooded?
• Where do fish go when it freezes outside?
• What is ocean noise?
• What are the trade winds?
• How are satellites used to observe the ocean?
• What is an oil seep?
• What is coral spawning?
• Why do scientists measure sea surface temperature?
• What are the doldrums?
• What are beach advisories and beach closures?
• What are microplastics?
• How does land-based pollution threaten coral reefs?
• Can a coral reef recover from bleaching and other stressful events?
• How does overfishing affect coral reefs?
• How does climate change affect coral reefs?
• What is ocean etiquette?
• What is the difference between local sea level and global sea level?
• What color is an iceberg?
• What is marine biogeography?
• What is the Forchhammer's Principle?
• What is a bight?
• What is a thermocline?
• What is a wetland?
• What is aquaculture?
• Why does the ocean have waves?
• How far does sound travel in the ocean?
• What is PORTS®?
• What do geodesists do?
• What is the International Date Line?
• Are there oceans on other planets?
• What is a slough?
• Is the Earth round?
• What is a hurricane?
• What is a seiche?
• Why do mariners use port and starboard instead of left and right?
• What is ocean acidification?
• Why do we have spring tides in the fall?
• What is the difference between storm surge and storm tide?
• What is the difference between a hurricane watch and a warning?
• What is the difference between a nautical mile and a knot?
• What's the difference between a threatened and endangered species?
• What is a perigean spring tide?
• How big is the Atlantic Ocean?
• What is a datum?
• What is an iceberg?
• Where do I get NOAA tides and currents data?
• What is the geoid?
• What is the law of the sea?
• What is the difference between weather and climate?
• How did the Pacific Ocean get its name?
• What is seaweed?
• How much of the ocean have we explored?
• What is a salt marsh?
• How does pressure change with ocean depth?
• What is NERRS?
• What ocean basin has the most corals?
• What is the EEZ?
• What is a navigation response team?
• Why is the ocean salty, but rivers flowing into it are not?
• What is an invasive species?
• Why does the ocean get colder at depth?
• What is an eddy?
• What is the difference between a hurricane, a cyclone, and a typhoon?
• What is the significance of the NOAA logo?
• What is bathymetry?
• What is the National Spatial Reference System?
• What is federal consistency?
• What is the smallest ocean?
• What is the largest ocean basin on Earth?
• Can humans drink seawater?
• What is the global ocean conveyor belt?
• How is sea level rise related to climate change?
• What does an oceanographer do?
• What is a rip current?
• Can the ocean freeze?
• What is a tsunami?
• What's the difference between an ocean and a sea?
• What are the seven seas?
• Do volcanoes occur in the ocean?
• What are tides?
• Why do we have oceans?
• How many oceans are there?
• How does sound travel in the ocean?
• Why is the ocean blue?
• How much water is in the ocean?
• Why is the ocean salty?
• How far does light travel in the ocean?
• How much of the ocean have we explored?
• What is a sonar?
• What is hydrography?
• Is sea level rising?
• What is an estuary?
• How deep is the ocean?