See That Sound?
Student Worksheet - Guidance for Research on Hydrographic Sonar
Your assignment is to prepare a written report that includes answers to the following questions, and a design for a sidescan sonar system that could be constructed with a maximum budget of $500. Answering these questions should lead you to some useful approaches for the design problem.
- “Sonar” is actually an acronym. What does it mean?
- What are the basic components of a sonar system?
- Why are transducers for sidescan sonar often contained in a “towfish” that is towed behind the survey vessel?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of high frequency (500 kHz and up) sonar signals compared to lower frequency (50 kHz or 100 kHz) signals?
- What is the difference between sidescan sonar and multibeam sonar?
- Discuss the importance of sidescan sonar and multibeam sonar to one of the following areas: ocean transportation, oceanographic research, disaster response, or maritime archaeology.