The Iron Cheesebox
Student Worksheet - U.S.S. Monitor Subject Review
- What was the length of the U.S.S. Monitor?
- What caused the Monitor to sink?
- How long was it from the time the Monitor sank to the time its wreck was discovered?
- How large is the protected area in the Monitor National Marine Sanctuary?
- List five options that were identified for preserving the Monitor.
- What oceanographic factors at the Monitor wreck site contribute to corrosion of the ship?
- How would encapsulation help preserve the Monitor?
- What is cathodic protection, and why does it work?
- What is “archeological conservation”?
- Why is it important that iron artifacts from marine archeological sites are not allowed to dry out?
- What is “galvanic cleaning?”
- What is “electrolytic reduction?”
- Once an artifact is cleaned, what further steps are needed to complete the conservation process?
- How much time was required for conservation of the Monitor’s anchor and brass signal lantern?