For the Last 10,000 Years...
Tijuana River NERR Student Worksheet
Begin research for the following questions at http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/topics/coasts/reserves. You will need to locate additional resources to answer questions 8 through 14.
- What are three primary purposes for which National Estuarine Research Reserves (NERRs) are established?
- Where is the Tijuana River NERR located?
- Where is most of the watershed that drains into the Tijuana River NERR?
- What major urban areas surround the Tijuana River NERR?
- Name seven natural habitats found within the Tijuana River NERR.
- What recent discovery in the Tijuana River NERR provides insight into local history and ecology?
- This discovery concerns what culture?
- How long has this culture been present in the area now included within the Tijuana River NERR?
- What was the approximate geographic range of this culture?
- According to beliefs within this culture, what was the origin of the first people of this group?
- What milestone events in the history of this culture took place in 1542; 1769; 1775; 1821; 1848; 1852; 1924; 1952
- Describe relationships between this culture and Spain, Mexico, and the United States.
- In addition to murder and slavery, what other factor played a major role in reducing the population of California Indians from 150,000 in 1845 to less than 16,000 in 1900? (Hint: find out what happened to Juan Antonio, a chief from the Sand Bernardino region)
- How are the Kumeyaay currently shaping the future for their children?