National Ocean Service
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
U.S. Department of Commerce
Explore All Topics
Just for Kids
Sea Floor Mapping
Prince William's Oily Mess
The Lionfish Invasion
Planet Stewards Program
Sea Level Rise
The Earth Scientist
Oysters In the Chesapeake Bay
Living in Weather
Ocean & Climate
Tides & Currents
Discover Your World
Discover Your Changing World
Tides and Currents:
• What do windward and leeward mean?
• How many high tides are there per day?
• What is a gyre?
• Are tides higher when the moon is directly overhead?
• What is a meteotsunami?
• What is a current survey?
• What is a ghost forest?
• Where is Earth’s Largest Waterfall?
• What is high tide flooding?
• What is a Rossby wave?
• What are the Totten Beacons?
• What is a tide gauge?
• What is a catcher beach?
• What is a King Tide?
• Where do I get real-time and forecast coastal conditions?
• What are the Roaring Forties?
• What are the doldrums?
• What is the difference between local sea level and global sea level?
• What is a NOAA tide table?
• How does NOAA monitor water levels around the nation?
• What is a turbidity current?
• What is an Operational Forecast System?
• Why does the ocean have waves?
• What is PORTS®?
• What are the horse latitudes?
• Why do we have spring tides in the fall?
• What is the difference between storm surge and storm tide?
• What is the difference between a nautical mile and a knot?
• What is 'Old Sow'?
• What is a perigean spring tide?
• Where do I get NOAA tides and currents data?
• Do the Great Lakes have tides?
• How do we monitor tides?
• What is an eddy?
• Why is data on currents important?
• What is the Loop Current?
• What is a tidal wave?
• How do we measure currents?
• Why do we study tides?
• How frequent are tides?
• Who first charted the Gulf Stream?
• What is the global ocean conveyor belt?
• Is change important to estuaries?
• What does an oceanographer do?
• What is a rip current?
• What is upwelling?
• What is a tsunami?
• What is a current?
• How fast is the Gulf Stream?
• Where can I get tide predictions?
• What is a rogue wave?
• Where is the highest tide?
• What are tides?
• What's the difference between a tide and a current?